A Travellerspoint blog

Day 23 Jungle Railway

Today started dark and early, yes, I was out of bed by 05:30. Seeing how yesterday I conveniently slept through my alarm (snoozed), last night I decided it was best to bite the bullet and have the guesthouse call me a cab to pick me up. This was the only way I could get motivated to get out of bed, knowing that someone was waiting for me. This cost me an extra RM 5, as opposed to walking to the bus station to get a taxi.

I gathered my things together, which basically means I threw everything that was outside of my bag, back into my pack. Then I made a quick 7 – 11 run to snag some breakfast and some train munchies. The streets here were quite empty at this hour, but it was slowly waking up as the morning prayers from the mosque filled the early void of the city.

I got back to the guesthouse put my stuff at the top of the stairs, and without delay the taxi was there. The owner helped me out with my bags and I gave a second look to my driver’s car. It wasn’t really a taxi, rather, it must have been a friend of the owner looking to make some extra cash, because it was just a regular car, a red 4 – door sedan type, with a box of tissues in the backseat window. Didn’t matter, he was taking me to where I needed to go, and he did just that, for RM20. He zoomed me across Kota Bharu and had me to the train station in about 10 minutes. In fact, he had me there way before the station was open, about 06:15. There were only a few people, mainly old ladies with their peppers and stuff to sell at the local market. Finally, at 06:30, the station started to flick on sporadically, the station controller began to unlock doors, and slowly the Westerners started trickling in. The ticket office didn’t open until about 06:45. We ended up standing in line for maybe 15 minutes, because the computer wasn’t working, or maybe it was just the difficult old lady in the front of the line; there's one in every country. I got my ticket (RM25), about 5 minutes before the train arrived; at least that was on time.

The ride was pretty uneventful, and didn’t get scenic until after Gua Musang, and that only lasted for 20 – 30 minutes.


The toilets were of the interesting type, they weren’t connected to any tank, it just emptied out of the bottom of the train, so, if someone was watching the train go by, it probably seemed as though it had a leak; a big leak.


In sum, this jungle train ride is a lot of HYPE! Really nothing exciting or spectacular about it, especially if you've ridden trains through Thailand; no dif..

Arrived to Jerantut in the afternoon, and found a hotel to stay at, although there isn’t much of a selection in this town.

Posted by Travel Gai 03:29 Archived in Malaysia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint